Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Consistent Daily Practice

One of the best tips I can give to martial artists around the world is that if you want to be the best you can be, you need to practice as much as possible. This seems obvious, but how many of us can honestly say that we practice as much as we would like to? This may sound harsh but I am convinced that mediocrity in any areas of our life (Kenpo included) is the result of practicing only when we feel like it. Conversely, being the best we can be is the result of practicing if when we don’t feel like it.

This past Saturday was my daughter’s 5th party. Morgan had 23 kids (not exaggerating) over to our house for a 3-hour party. Luckily, the weather was fantastic and my wife and I were able to host the party outside in our backyard. Given the special occasion, I took the day off completely from Kenpo Karate and enjoyed every minute with my family. It was actually a well-deserved break because up until that date, I had practiced 41 days straight for a minimum of one hour of Kenpo Karate. Some days over the span had been as long as 3-5 hours in one day. That may seem like a lot, but as a 6th Degree Black Belt in American Kenpo Karate, and as a school owner, I believe that I have the responsibility to train that hard not only to continue to improve my skills, but for the betterment of my students. The more my students see me improving, the more motivated they will be to improve as well.

Most of my training is completed outdoors. I much prefer a tennis court or park to practice then a comfortably padded floor with mirrors to look at myself. No, I am not knocking dojo training, but I enjoy the sunshine and different terrains offered outside. I like training in my bare feet to toughen my feet, as well as in shoes to give a greater sense of realism.

By practicing daily, and conditioning my mind to pattern the consistency in this behavior, practicing Kenpo is not just a duty for me, but a devout passion. It allows me to stay in top physical shape, relaxes my mind, and makes me feel good about myself. The more confident of a person we are on the inside, the more it will reflect on the outside in how we treat others.