Monday, June 11, 2007

Black Belt Titles and Academic Degrees

Maybe it's just me, but I think the whole concept of associating a higher degree (dan) of black belt in Kenpo with a given academic degree (ie, BA, MA, PhD) is silly. What makes Kenpo that special that we have to put all of these extra degree equivalents beside our name? No, I am not knocking Kenpo. I love the art to no end. But doesn't this whole notion of wanting to have an academic degree beside our name fit the North American model of greater ego, and trying to get the most possible out of something through the back door, also known as the easy route?

I know what some are going to say in rebuttal. There is no easy route in American Kenpo Karate. Someone who has devoted 20+ years in Kenpo has put in more time than most students that have graduated from a university. I actually attended university for 6+ years, and graduated with an MA in Sociology. So what does this have to do with my 6th degree in American Kenpo? Sorry, but not a lot.

Why doesn't Oscar De La Hoya,, Muhammad Ali, Lennox Lewis or Floyd Maywether get a PhD title? They have mastered boxing, have they not? I would even argue that they have put in much more mat time over the years then many Kenpoists holding higher dan levels. But is boxing different? Is it apples and oranges? Are we in Kenpo so special and so unique that we are deserving of having a BA, MA, and/or PhD title beside our name? C'mon guys.

Let's get back to the gym and stop worrying about whether we deserve an MA or PhD.