Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Update from the 2010 Power Nationals

Hi everyone. I am finally getting back to you about the results from the 2010 Power Nationals held in London, Ontario. It’s been a busy couple of weeks. My family and I went camping in Prospect Hill, and we camped there for 8 nights straight. It was a great time. Morgan and Maddie had lots of independence, met lots of friends, caught tons of crayfish, went swimming, and had lots of marshmallows over the fire. Chantel and I also got lots of husband-wife time, which was really great.


The tournament went very well, despite the fact that there was no air conditioning in the building, making it extremely hot. There were not many competitors in my 35+ Black Belt division (3 in Traditional Forms, 3 in Traditional Weapons, and 3 in Sparring). I ended up taking 1st place in forms and weapons, and 2nd place in sparring. I lost 3-2 in the final match and then they stopped the fight because the 2-minute time limit expired. It wasn’t the way I wanted to lose, but hey, those were the rules. I think from now on I will only compete in full-contact, continuous fighting. I might even consider a cage match if the event is held close enough. My students who competed at the Power Nationals also did very well: Ethan, 1st in Fighting; Ryan Welsh, 1st in Fighting; Reese, 2nd in Fighting; Micah, 2nd in Forms; Mark Abram, 3rd in Fighting; and Dana Broadhead, 3rd in Weapons. Way to go all of you!!