Thursday, August 16, 2007

Street Fighting or Personal Growth?

Someone asked an interesting question today. The person stated that given that we are more apt to obtain a lifestyle disease than we are to be violently attacked on the street, why is there so much emphasis on street self-defense and not much in the way of lifestyle modification?

I will answer that from my perspective, although I am confident that much of what I state can be applied generally. First, in my early days of training back in 1985, and probably continuing on through the lower ranks of black belt, I was fascinated with the street-fighting applications of movement contained in American Kenpo. I wanted to learn how to be a "fighting machine", and I was confident that through proper instruction in American Kenpo, I could get there.

As I continue to grow, mature, and develop in my Christian walk, as well as my relationship with my wife and two daughters, my perspectives on life have changed. That doesn’t mean I don’t love fighting full contact because I do it all of the time. It also doesn’t mean that I don’t love "working" what I believe are the most practical self-defense techniques known to man, which I believe are contained in American Kenpo. In fact, I love sparring and self-defense techniques more than I ever have. What it means, however, is that my character has changed. I don’t need Kenpo to prove to myself that I can fight; I need Kenpo for personal growth.

Through a stringent daily Kenpo Karate plan, I am exercising more than I ever have in my life, both in terms of frequency and duration. Doing so allows me to stay in the best shape that I possibly can, and gives me the mental focus to tackle all other areas of my life. It helps me grow spiritually in my relationship with Christ. It helps me focus my attention on my wife’s needs and desires in our marriage. It also helps me be a better father and "kid" with my two daughters.

Additionally, I also use Kenpo Karate as a tool to help others. Through Kenpo, I teach my students that with diligent practice, they too can achieve what they want in life by learning the acquired discipline, focus, and perseverance. I also teach them that association breed’s similarity, and thus the people that we choose to hang around are the same ones that we will most likely end up being like. So, for example, if we choose to hang around people that love bars, drinking, and smoking, the probability rises that we will have to fight given the location and atmosphere of these places. Conversely, if we hang around people who love to exercise, that say no to substance abuse, avoid bars and strip clubs, in most likelihood, we won’t ever be in a situation where we have to engage in a real fight.

Question: what are you taking martial arts for?