Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cancer

Today my heart is broken and my eyes are frequently filled with tears. Early this morning I lost my favorite uncle in his battle with colon cancer. I have a hard time writing this, but I know that God wants me to and I am going to answer His call.

For the past 17 months, I have known that Carmen's time here on earth was limited. I knew how much he wanted to spend what limited time he had left with his wife and beautiful children. He did that. And while his pain is gone, he is still so deeply missed.

When terminal illness or tragic accidents occur in life, we often run through a varied amount of emotions. Why did this have to happen? Why didn't God intervene? How will I go on in life?

About a week ago, I had a one-on-one talk with Carmen as he lay in his bed in the hospital. I told him how much I love him, and that although I can't understand why some things happen in life, that I wanted him to know that he is so loved by God. I told him that I needed to know with certainty that he would be my neighbor in heaven. He told me how much he wanted that and how much he wanted to reunite with all of his other loved ones soon again. I told him that by putting his faith in Jesus Christ as Lord, that God guarantees eternal life, and would remove all sins immediately. After asking me a few questions regarding faith, he did that! We then hugged me for what seemed like eternity and kissed me over and over on the cheek.

I want the world to know that cancer is not too great for God. No matter what you are going through, you don't have to go through it alone. The Bible states in Proverbs 18:24 that, "there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother"; that friend is Jesus, who won't leave you nor forsake you.

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God.

- Notice that we are ALL on the same playing field…we are not good enough without Christ

Romans 5:8 - But God Commendeth His Love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us

Romans 10:9-10 - That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved

Acts 4:12 - Neither is there Salvation in any other: for there is none other name under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.